Give Quality English Language Tests in Your Classroom
The Institutional Testing Program provides convenient, affordable English proficiency tests that can be used for institutional placement, progress evaluation, exit testing, and other situations that don’t require a secure environment. More than 400,000 ITP tests are administered worldwide each year, and that number continues to grow. The TOEFL ITP consists of previously administered TOEFL English language tests and is used to evaluate English as a second language skill for academic purposes.
What is TOEFL ITP?
The TOEFL Institutional Testing Program (ITP) tests English proficiency at the intermediate to advanced levels. It is composed of previously administered TOEFL paper-based tests.
The exam uses an academic context to evaluate nonnative speakers’ skills in
- Listening Comprehension
- Structure and Written Expression
Multiple test forms exist, and the test can be administered throughout the year. Your institution orders the number of test books it desires from ETS or your ETS preferred vendor. Once you receive the testing materials, you use your own staff and facilities to administer the test whenever you wish.
Institutions are licensed to administer TOEFL ITP and Pre-TOEFL tests to individuals or to groups. The time required for administration is approximately two hours for the TOEFL ITP and 1.5 hours for Pre-TOEFL tests.
After the test, examinee answer sheets are returned to ETS or to your TOEFL representative for scoring. Scores are available approximately three to seven days after receipt of the answer sheets.
Each section is scored separately to assist you in determining which skills need more work, enabling you to tailor learning activities to meet the needs of each student.
TOEFL ITP provides a convenient and affordable assessment of English language proficiency for
- Secondary schools
- Colleges and universities
- English-language programs
Although the test content is the same as in the paper-based TOEFL test, it is important to understand that TOEFL ITP is not used for the same purposes as the TOEFL test.
The TOEFL test is an official test administered by ETS under secure conditions. Its scores can be used by institutions to make important decisions, such as whether or not to admit a student. TOEFL ITP, conversely, consists of previously administered TOEFL paper-based tests that your program administers for its own internal use.
Your program should use TOEFL ITP to make internal decisions such as
- Placing individuals in appropriate English courses
- Assessing progress
- Exiting a program
- Measuring a program’s effectiveness
- Screening for exchange programs or scholarships
- Awarding academic credit
- Fulfilling a language requirement
- Assessing faculty or other professional-level staff
TOEFL ITP scores should NOT be sent to other institutions.
There are multiple forms available of the test, and customers can conduct testing throughout the year. ETS provides programs with manuals that contain thorough instructions on administering the TOEFL ITP test. Each institution is responsible for keeping its test forms as secure as possible to maintain the integrity of the program. TOEFL ITP tests are to be administered only to students attending your own institution.
TOEFL ITP is the leading on-site testing program in the world. Every year, more than 1,500 institutions and agencies from around the globe administer 300,000+ ITP tests.
TOEFL ITP is ideal for your program because it is:
- Reliable, based on the TOEFL test, the most trusted English-language assessment in the world.
- Available on demand. YOU choose your test date.
- Convenient. You use YOUR OWN facilities and staff to administer the test and return the materials to ETS for accurate scoring.
- Flexible, containing multiple test forms, allowing you to test throughout the year.
- Quick to deliver scores, doing so approximately three to seven days after score sheets are received.
- An accurate predictor of performance on the secure TOEFL test.
- Helpful in determining academic readiness and development needs.
- Motivational for students wishing to improve their English proficiency.